Associate Degree for Transfer
Requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT): Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) guarantees a community college student who completes this degree admission to a California State University (CSU) campus. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus. Additionally, the ADT major and the university major must be deemed "similar" to be accepted in lieu of local campus requirements for the degree. In order to earn an Associate Degree for Transfer, students must complete 60 CSU-transferable semester units with a minimum grade point average of 2.0, earn "C" grades in each course in the major, and at least 30 units of general education, including coursework in Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking, and Mathematics. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular major within a CSU campus or to the University of California (UC) campuses. The Associate Degree for Transfer also provides guaranteed admission to several private/independent colleges and universities in California, and select Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Students should consult with a GWC counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
The following is required for all ADT (AA-T or AS-T) degrees:
- Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in an AA-T or AS-T major. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better. Courses used to satisfy major requirements can also be used to satisfy CSU GE Breadth or IGETC. See a GWC counselor for further information.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum pattern (IGETC), 37-39 units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- A minimum of 12 units in residence at GWC.