Associate Degree for Transfer
Requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT): Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)
The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now codified in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer,” a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California community college. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete 60 CSU-transferable semester units with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a GWC counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
The following is required for all ADT (AA-T or AS-T) degrees:
- Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- A minimum of 12 units in residence at GWC.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an AA-T or AS-T major. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern, (CSU GE Breadth); or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum pattern (IGETC), 37-39 units.
- Courses used to satisfy major requirements can also be used to satisfy CSU GE Breadth or IGETC. See a GWC counselor for further information.