Smog Inspector, Certificate of Completion
Banner Code: 2_NCI_SMOG
Control Number: 39189
Not Financial Aid Eligible
This Certificate of Completion will focus on the skills required for smog technicians. It combines Basic Clean Air Car Course (G045N) and Smog Level 2 Smog Check (G046N) to prepare students to take the Bureau of Automotive Repair State license exam. Upon completion of this program students will know the laws and regulations for California Smog Check and perform a comprehensive vehicle smog inspection on BAR On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS) and BAR 97 Smog machines.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) rules and regulations.
- Analyze diagnostic trouble codes and freeze frame data and determine the root cause of emissions failures.
- Demonstrate student knowledge, skills, and abilities in checking monitor readiness on vehicles equipped with second-generation On-Board Diagnostics systems (OBDII).
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform Smog check functional tests on various vehicle designs.
- Describe the catalytic converter performance standards of practice expected of Smog Check Inspectors.
- Describe the laws, regulations, and procedures associated with consumer authorization of inspections and the overall administration of the Smog Check Program.