Educational Studies: STEM: Math Concentration, Certificate of Achievement
Banner Code: 3_CN_ESMT
Control Number: 39880
Financial Aid Eligible
The certificate serves as a career ladder approach to a credential or permit or as a stand-alone entity to document that a student has taken coursework related to subject matter proficiency and has acquired skills for successful employment as a teacher's aide, after-school program assistant, tutoring or other paraprofessional level classroom career.
More specifically the certificate is designed to meet the needs of students following various pathways to classroom teaching or an education-related field:
- The paraprofessional or aspiring paraprofessional teacher aide
- Homeschooling parents
- The aspiring paraprofessional or currently employed paraprofessional teacher- aide seeking a career ladder approach to a teaching credential and/or child development permit.
- The teacher- aide paraprofessional who has decided against pursuing an AA and/or credential or permit but would like to acquire knowledge and skills/ professional development relevant to serving as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom or school or related environment, concentrating on providing students support in mathematics.
- Teacher preparation for students on a transfer pathway for a BA and Credential who also desire certificate recognition in Educational Studies STEM: with a Math Concentration.
- Independent tutors seeking a certificate to augment their training and expertise.
In order to provide an additional pathway to an education-related career, Coastline’s Certificate programs in Educational Studies are especially designed to meet the needs of students interested in an education/ teaching-related career who prefer online classes and/or cannot always attend traditional face-to-face classes due to employment, marital status, family responsibilities, distance, and expenses incurred with traditional education schedules. All certificate classes are online.
Possible employment/ illustrative examples: Teacher assistant K-8; teacher assistant 8-12 remedial math; position requiring practical skills and knowledge to work with children in an after-school care, tutoring, or mentoring program/ (focusing on math providing support in math); paraprofessional providing tutoring/homework assistance and/or assisting in academic enrichment programs; test preparation assistant or content assistant, test prep: CSET, CBEST SAT; nanny; Lego theme park worker for mathematics oriented exhibits.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program students will be able to:
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, colleagues, and administrators in a school and classroom setting.
- Apply knowledge, skills, and experience to make an informed choice to be employed or to continue study in the field of education.
- Apply the certificate towards entry into a teaching credential or child development permit program, and/or the certificate may serve to document the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for employment as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom, school, or related environment.
Review Graduation Requirements.
|Complete the following:
|Mathematics for Elementary Teachers
|Geometry for Elementary Teachers
|Introduction to Statistics
|Tutor Training Includes a three-hour service learning component
|Family, School, and Community Partnerships Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations
|Complete two to three units of the following:
|Introduction to Computers in Education: Technology Proficiencies for Teachers 1
|Media Literacy Toolkit for Teachers
|Introduction to Special Education Requires ten hours of arranged fieldwork in public school special education classrooms and includes cooperation with at least one campus-approved certificated classroom teacher.