Educational Studies: STEM: Instructional Technology Support Concentration, Certificate of Achievement
Not Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 3_CN_ESIT
Control Number: 39967
In order to provide an additional pathway to an education-related career, this certificate is designed for students interested in an education/ teaching-related career who prefer online classes and/or cannot always attend traditional face-to-face classes due to employment, marital status, family responsibilities, distance, and expenses incurred with traditional education schedules. All certificate classes are online.
This certificate is especially appropriate for students following various pathways to classroom teaching or an education-related career:
- The paraprofessional or aspiring paraprofessional teacher aide or homeschooling parent seeking professional development focused on supporting teaching and learning with technology.
- The aspiring paraprofessional or currently employed paraprofessional teacher aide seeking a career ladder approach to a teaching credential and/or child development permit seeking a certificate recognizing expertise in providing technology-based instructional support.
- The teacher aide paraprofessional who has decided against pursuing an AA and/or credential but would like to acquire knowledge and skills/ professional development relevant to serving as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom, school, or related environment, specializing in expertise in providing technology-based assistance.
- Teacher preparation for students on a transfer pathway for a BA and Credential who also desire certificate recognition in Educational Studies with a concentration in providing technology support to teachers, students, parents.
Possible employment/illustrative examples: teacher assistant/ classroom aide specializing in providing technology assistance to students, parents, teachers, in an academic or related setting. Preschool, TK, elementary, middle, secondary; possible employment as a technology assistant in special education classrooms with the addition of intro to special education course; elementary learning support aide, middle school paraeducator, assistant in after school homework center, all grades, where expertise in technology would be an asset.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program students will be able to:
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, colleagues, and administrators in a school and classroom setting.
- Apply knowledge, skills, and experience to make an informed choice to be employed or to continue study in the field of education.
- Apply the certificate towards entry into a teaching credential or child development permit program, and/or the certificate may serve to document the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for employment as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom, school, or related environment.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
A Certificate is awarded upon completion of the required coursework with a grade of C or higher in each course. A grade of P (Pass) is acceptable, however, the student must meet an overall GPA requirement of 2.0 to receive the certificate. To receive the certificate, a student must file a petition for graduation during their final semester prior to the application deadline as noted on the Coastline Graduation webpage.
Certificate of Achievement
Certificate programs are designed to prepare individuals to enter a particular field of employment or to provide in-service training to those already employed. Certificates of Achievements are majors that include 16 units or more and will be posted on the transcript. They may be used as elective units towards the A.A. or A.S. Degree.
- Student must be in attendance at the time requirements are completed.
- Students must also earn a minimum of 12 units of coursework at Coastline, excluding experiential credit.
- A student with prior experience may be excused from certain certificate courses.
- 50 percent of the certificate program’s units must be completed at Coastline no matter how the total number of units required for the certificate can be met.
|Students will complete all of the following:|
|EDUC C101||Tutor Training||1|
|EDUC C103||Introduction to Computers in Education: Technology Proficiencies for Teachers 1||2|
|EDUC C104||Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Diverse Contemporary Classrooms||1|
|EDUC C180||Family, School, and Community Partnerships||3|
|EDUC C211||Media Literacy Toolkit for Teachers||3|
|CIS C100||Introduction to Information Systems||3|
|Complete 3 units of the following:|
|Using Adobe Acrobat|
|Microsoft Excel 1|
|Microsoft Office Professional 1|
|Beginning Microsoft Word|
|Digital Photography Using Photoshop|
|Adobe Photoshop 1|