Educational Studies: STEM: Science Concentration, Certificate of Achievement
Banner Code: 3_CN_ESSC
Control Number: 40011
Financial Aid Eligible
The certificate serves as a career ladder approach to a credential or permit or as a stand-alone entity to document that a student has taken coursework related to subject matter proficiency and has acquired skills for successful employment as a teacher's aide, after-school program assistant, tutoring or other paraprofessional level classroom career.
The certificate is especially appropriate for students following various pathways to classroom teaching or an education-related field:
- The paraprofessional or aspiring paraprofessional teacher aides
- Homeschooling parents
- The aspiring paraprofessional or currently employed paraprofessional teacher-aide seeking a career ladder approach to a teaching credential and/or child development permit
The teacher-aide paraprofessional who has decided against pursuing an AA and/or credential or permit but would like to acquire knowledge and skills/professional development relevant to serving as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom or school or related environment, concentrating on providing students support in science-related disciplines.
- Teacher preparation for students on a transfer pathway for a BA and Credential who also desire certificate recognition in Educational Studies STEM: with a Science Concentration.
- Independent tutors, students working with students in a science-related setting, seeking a certificate to augment and recognize their training and expertise.
In order to provide an additional pathway to an education-related career, the certificate is for students interested in an education/teaching-related career who prefer online classes and/or cannot always attend traditional face-to-face classes due to employment, marital status, family responsibilities, distance, and expenses incurred with traditional education schedules. All certificate classes are online.
Possible employment/illustrative examples: position requiring practical skills and knowledge to work with children in an after-school care, tutoring, or mentoring program/ (focusing on providing support in science-related disciplines ); teacher’s aide/ science area; teacher assistant elementary school classrooms/ magnet science schools; work with k-12 students in an after-school setting (upper grades/ remedial); provide tutoring/homework assistance, assist in academic enrichment programs; outdoor education group leader or assistant, science museum education assistant/ camp counselor for science specialty options; tutor; nanny; Disney; Lego theme park worker science fair coach.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program students will be able to:
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, colleagues, and administrators in a school and classroom setting
- Apply knowledge, skills, and experience to make an informed choice to be employed or to continue study in the field of education.
- Apply the certificate towards entry into a teaching credential or child development permit program, and/or the certificate may serve to document the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for employment as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom, school, or related environment.
Review Graduation Requirements.
|Complete the following:
|Survey of Chemistry and Physics
|or PHYS C140
|Survey of Chemistry and Physics
|Introduction to Biology Lecture/Lab
|Earth Sciences for Teachers
|Family, School, and Community Partnerships Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations)
|Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Diverse Contemporary Classrooms Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations