Educational Studies: General, Certificate of Achievement
Banner Code: 3_CN_ESGEN
Control Number: 39997
Financial Aid Eligible
The certificate serves as a career ladder approach to a credential or permit or as a stand-alone entity to document that a student has taken coursework related to subject matter proficiency and has acquired skills for successful employment as a teacher's aide, after-school program assistant, tutoring or other paraprofessional level classroom career.
The certificate is especially appropriate for students following various pathways to classroom teaching or an education-related career:
- The paraprofessional or aspiring paraprofessional teacher aide
- Homeschooling parents
- The aspiring paraprofessional or currently employed paraprofessional teacher- aide seeking a career ladder approach to a teaching credential and/or child development permit.
- The teacher- aide paraprofessional who has decided against pursuing an AA and/or credential or permit but would like to acquire knowledge and skills/ professional development relevant to serving as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom or school or related environment, concentrating on providing students support in mathematics.
- Teacher preparation for students on a transfer pathway for a BA and Credential who also desire certificate recognition in Educational Studies: General.
- Independent tutors seeking a certificate to augment their training and expertise.
In order to provide an additional pathway to an education-related career, the certificate is for students interested in an education/ teaching-related career who prefer online classes and/or cannot always attend traditional face-to-face classes due to employment, marital status, family responsibilities, distance, and expenses incurred with traditional education schedules. All certificate classes are online.
Possible employment/ illustrative examples: teacher assistant, especially appropriate for transitional Kindergarten (TK) through grade 6, or higher grades remedial; tutor, homework assistant, assistant in academic enrichment programs; recreation specialist; nanny; entry-level position requiring practical skills and knowledge to work with persons with disabilities in a variety of educational settings (this certificate may support, depending on course selection, the requirements of federal legislation that all paraprofessionals/instructional assistants/aides in Title I schools be “highly qualified”); work with k-12 students in an after-school setting; test preparation assistant or provider (CBEST, CSET SAT remedial, ISSE).
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, colleagues, and administrators in a school and classroom setting.
- Apply knowledge, skills, and experience to make an informed choice to be employed or to continue study in the field of education.
- Apply the certificate towards entry into a teaching credential or child development permit program, and/or the certificate may serve to document the acquisition of knowledge and skills relevant for employment as a teacher assistant or support staff in a classroom, school, or related environment.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
A Certificate is awarded upon completion of the required coursework with a grade of C or higher in each course. A grade of P (Pass) is acceptable, however, the student must meet an overall GPA requirement of 2.0 to receive the certificate. To receive the certificate, a student must file a petition for graduation during their final semester prior to the application deadline as noted on the Coastline Graduation webpage.
Certificate of Achievement
Certificate programs are designed to prepare individuals to enter a particular field of employment or to provide in-service training to those already employed. Certificates of Achievements are majors that include 16 units or more and will be posted on the transcript. They may be used as elective units towards the A.A. or A.S. Degree.
- Student must be in attendance at the time requirements are completed.
- Students must also earn a minimum of 12 units of coursework at Coastline, excluding experiential credit.
- A student with prior experience may be excused from certain certificate courses.
- 50 percent of the certificate program’s units must be completed at Coastline no matter how the total number of units required for the certificate can be met.
|Complete the following:|
|EDUC C103||Introduction to Computers in Education: Technology Proficiencies for Teachers 1||2|
|EDUC C104||Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Diverse Contemporary Classrooms Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations||1|
|EDUC C180||Family, School, and Community Partnerships Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations||3|
|EDUC C200||The Teaching Profession Includes 45 hours of required fieldwork||3.5|
|PSYC C116||Child Growth and Development||3|
|or PSYC C118||Life Span Developmental Psychology|
|Select minimum 5.5 units from the following: Students are advised to meet with a counselor or contact the TEACh3 office for assistance in course selection to ensure alignment with students’ career goals, educational plans, and /or credential requirements.||5.5|
|Tutor Training Includes a three-hour service learning component|
|Introduction to Special Education Includes 10 hours of required fieldwork/observations|
|Introduction to Human Services|
|Statistics for Elementary Teachers|
|Mathematics for Elementary Teachers|
|Geometry for Elementary Teachers|
|Media Literacy Toolkit for Teachers|
|Elementary Arabic 1|
|Elementary Arabic 2|
|Elementary Chinese 1|
|Elementary Chinese 2|
|Elementary French 1|
|Elementary French 2|
|Intermediate French 1|
|Intermediate French 2|
|Elementary Japanese 1|
|Elementary Japanese 2|
|American Sign Language 1|
|American Sign Language 2|
|Elementary Spanish 1|
|Elementary Spanish 1A|
|Elementary Spanish 1B|
|Elementary Spanish 2|
|Intermediate Spanish 1|
|Intermediate Spanish 2|
|Vietnamese For Vietnamese Speakers|
|Elementary Vietnamese 1|
|Elementary Vietnamese 2|