Music, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner code: 2_AAT_MUS
Financial aid: Eligible
The Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree at Golden West College is designed to prepare students to successfully transfer to a CSU campus as Music Majors. Due to the fact that Music Majors begin major coursework in the freshman year, students must successfully complete all of the required courses to be awarded the Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree. The Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree program is designed for students to complete the first two years of Core Major coursework that is required at CSU campuses, and prepare for success on CSU subject placement exams. Students should be aware that most CSU campuses require placement exams for Music Majors, even with a completed Associate in Arts Transfer Degree.1
See Golden West College Music Counselor
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate written and aural understanding of diatonic and chromatic music theory principles.
- Consistently execute a collegiate level of performance and musicianship in a solo setting.
- Consistently execute a collegiate level of ensemble etiquette, musicianship and performance in a large ensemble setting.
- Complete a standard, collegiate-level piano keyboard proficiency.
Associate Degree for Transfer Graduation Requirements
Associate Degrees for Transfer require students to meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of degree-applicable courses,
- Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0,
- Minimum grade of “C” (or “P”) for each course in the major, and
- Completion of IGETC and/or CSU GE-Breadth.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|MUS G116||Theory and Musicianship 1||3|
|MUS G117||Theory and Musicianship 2||3|
|MUS G216||Theory and Musicianship 3||3|
|MUS G217||Theory and Musicianship 4||3|
|MUS G290||Applied Music||5|
|Large Ensemble Requirement|
|Select a minimum of 4 units of the following:||4|
|MUS G121||College Choir||1|
|MUS G122||Chamber Choir||1|
|MUS G260||Symphonic Winds||1|
|GE Pattern (CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC)||37-39|
|Total units that may be double counted||0|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 units) 1||0-2|
Credit earned in AAT