Dance, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner code: 2_AA_DANCE
Financial aid: Eligible
The Dance Program in the Dance department, Arts and Letters Division includes general education, education for AA degree preparation and transfer to upper division at colleges and universities. Courses offered cover a wide variety of dance styles in small classes with individual attention to dancer’s needs. Careers for the dance major include dancer, choreographer, designer, technician and craftsperson, stage manager, arts manager, arts consultant, communications and teaching in professional, secondary and postsecondary education. Students learn and acquire skills in all elements of dance.
The Dance Department plays an active role in the community by presenting workshops, master classes and performances at schools and special events. Dance department faculty provide services to the campus and community in the form of public performances, fundraising, concert tours, adjudication and significant outreach for the recruitment of new students. The faculty are professional artists who present their work both within the community and nationally and are very friendly and available to students for advisement. GWC dance students also have opportunities to travel and perform in festivals within the US and abroad.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Gain an overview of the historical, cultural, and scientific dimensions of dance.
- Explore the fundamental skills and techniques necessary for the public performance of dance.
- Gain practical experience in the production aspects of dance.
- Demonstrate the craft and aesthetic qualities of dance orally, practically, and in writing.
- Develop competency in modern dance, ballet, and jazz dance, in order to pursue careers in education, health and fitness, or performance arenas, or to further academic preparation in dance studies.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
- Completion of General Education Requirements by one of the following methods:
- Completion of a minimum of 18 units as listed under Areas A through E, including the Cultural Diversity Requirement.
- Completion of a minimum of 39 units of CSU General Education requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in CSU General Education Breadth.
- Completion of a minimum of 34 (UC) or 37 (CSU) units of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC.
- Completion of a Major or Area of Emphasis—a minimum of 18 units.
- Completion of additional elective units to a total of 60 units.
- 2.0 overall Grade Point Average at GWC and 2.0 overall Grade Point Average for all colleges attended.
- At least 12 units completed at GWC.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|DANC G100||Modern Dance 1 - Beginning||2|
|DANC G145||Modern Dance 2 - Intermediate||2|
|DANC G200||Modern Dance 3 - Advanced||2|
|DANC G120||Ballet 1 - Beginning||2|
|DANC G155||Ballet 2 - Intermediate||2|
|DANC G220||Ballet 3 - Advanced||2|
|Select four units from the following:||4|
|DANC G125||Jazz Dance 1 - Beginning||2|
|DANC G160||Contemporary Dance Styles||2|
|DANC G225||Jazz Dance 2 - Advanced||2|
|Conditioning for Dance|
|Select one unit from the following:||1|
|DANC G105||Strength and Stretch||1|
|DANC G106||Strength and Stretch 2 - Intermediate||1|
|DANC G108||Pilates and Barre for Dancers||1|
|Choreography, Performance and Production Dance|
|Select 4 units from the following:||4|
|DANC G235||Modern Dance Ensemble||2|
|DANC G240||Tap Dance Ensemble||1,2|
|DANC G245||Performance Ensemble||1,2|
|DANC G250||Studio Production And Performance||1,2|
|DANC G260||Dance Production And Performance||2,3|
|Select two units from the following:||2|
|DANC G112||Ballroom Dance||1|
|DANC G113||Ballroom Dance 2 - Beginning||1|
|DANC G115||Tap Dance 1 - Beginning||2|
|DANC G119||Hip Hop Dance||1|
|DANC G130||Dance For Musical Theater||2|
|DANC G135||Mid-Eastern Dance||0.5,1|
|DANC G136||Intermediate/Advanced Mid-Eastern Dance||0.5,1|
|DANC G150||Tap Dance 2 - Intermediate||2|
|DANC G215||Tap Dance 3 - Advanced||2|
|DANC G219||Hip Hop Dance 2||1|
|Select additional units from the following to reach degree total 60 units:|
|BIOL G220||Human Anatomy||4|
|DANC G101||Viewing Dance||3|
|MUS G101||History & Appreciation Of Music||3|
|THEA G106||Acting - Fundamentals||3|
|THEA G175||Stage Scenery||3|
|THEA G176||Stage Lighting||3|
|THEA G178||Introduction to Stage Costume||3|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|