Physics, Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
Banner code: 2_AST_PHYS
Financial aid: Eligible
The Associate in Science in Physics for Transfer degree (AS-T in Physics) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in Physics at a CSU campus. Students completing this degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts this degree will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree. Consult with a counselor for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. Prospective students interested in this degree are encouraged to meet with a counselor to develop an educational goal plan that best meets their goals and needs. On completion of the program, the student will have gained proficiency in all of the main areas of classical physics (mechanics, waves, sound, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics) and will have been exposed to some of the more modern concepts of physics, including special relativity, atomic and nuclear physics.
This is the major pattern for students planning to transfer to a CSU. It is strongly recommended that students contact a GWC counselor to develop an official Student Educational Plan to discuss non-CSU universities.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Understand the basic principles and concepts of physics.
- Use these principles and concepts in solving problems in the various areas of physics.
- Understand the methods of physicists.
- Appreciate the importance of physics.
- Appreciate that physics is an active, unfinished area of work in which many people are, today, actively engaged.
Associate Degree for Transfer Graduation Requirements
Associate Degrees for Transfer require students to meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of degree-applicable courses,
- Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0,
- Minimum grade of “C” (or “P”) for each course in the major, and
- Completion of IGETC and/or CSU GE-Breadth.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|PHYS G185||Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics||4|
|PHYS G280||Calculus Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism||4|
|PHYS G285||Calculus Based Physics: Modern||4|
|MATH G180||Calculus I||5|
|MATH G185||Calculus 2||5|
|MATH G280||Calculus 3||5|
|GE Pattern (CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC)||37-39|
|Total units that may be double-counted||7|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 units)||1-3|