General Biology, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner code: 2_AA_BIOL
Financial aid: Eligible
This Associate in Arts degree in General Biology is designed to allow students to study a variety of topics in cell and molecular biology, animal and plant diversity, and receive additional STEM preparation. The coursework prepares students to use the scientific method, critical thinking, and applied reasoning to analyze real world situations.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Compare different life forms that inhabit earth regarding modes of reproduction, metabolism, and adaptation.
- Describe the various interrelationships that exist between life forms and also the interactions that occur in different ecosystems on earth.
- Relate how the theory of evolution unifies the significant principles of biological science.
- Correctly perform various experiments and activities in biology lab classes, including the proper use of different types of standard biology lab equipment.
- Apply critical thinking and analytical skills to correctly interpret data.
- Explain biological concepts, theories, current research or other related topics clearly and concisely in the form of lab reports, essays, formal written papers or oral presentations.
- Explain how biology correlates with other sciences such as chemistry, astronomy, ecology, geology or physics.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
- Completion of General Education Requirements by one of the following methods:
- Completion of a minimum of 18 units as listed under Areas A through E, including the Cultural Diversity Requirement.
- Completion of a minimum of 39 units of CSU General Education requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in CSU General Education Breadth.
- Completion of a minimum of 34 (UC) or 37 (CSU) units of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC.
- Completion of a Major or Area of Emphasis—a minimum of 18 units.
- Completion of additional elective units to a total of 60 units.
- 2.0 overall Grade Point Average at GWC and 2.0 overall Grade Point Average for all colleges attended.
- At least 12 units completed at GWC.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|BIOL G180||Cell and Molecular Biology||5|
|CHEM G180||General Chemistry A||5|
|CHEM G185||General Chemistry B||5|
|Select one of the following:||5-8|
|BIOL G186||Diversity of Organisms||5|
& BIOL G183
|Select one of the following:||5|
|MATH G180||Calculus I||5|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|