Spanish, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner code: 2_AAT_SPAN
Financial aid: Eligible
The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree (ADT) is an excellent way to develop critical thinking, analytical and communicative skills. It provides a basis for understanding culture, and therefore prepares graduates for many careers in a multicultural world. Communications with others is more and more vital with the growing global interdependence and technological connectivity. Students in the Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer can develop careers in areas such as education, diplomatic services, anthropology, economics, political science, literature, sociology, and linguistics. While teaching has traditionally been the principle area of employment, other careers, such as interpreting, translating, research, public relations, international commerce, tourism, and publishing are possible.
The department offers courses from beginning to advanced level. All courses are designed to develop the students’ listening comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing skills, as well as to provide a general overview of Spanish-speaking civilizations and cultures. Students will be prepared for transfer into a baccalaureate degree program in Spanish at a CSU.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of vocabulary, grammar, idiomatic expressions and culture to accurately recognize and comprehend spoken messages in Spanish.
- Demonstrate understanding of Spanish grammar, vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and Spanish speakers’ culture and apply it to communicate orally, using appropriate pronunciation on designated topics in public and in interpersonal situations.
- Apply, clearly and effectively, vocabulary, grammar, idiomatic expressions, and culture to synthesize, analyze, evaluate and derive meaning of implicit and explicit written materials.
- Integrate grammar, vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and culture to communicate in writing.
Associate Degree for Transfer Graduation Requirements
Associate Degrees for Transfer require students to meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of degree-applicable courses,
- Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0,
- Minimum grade of “C” (or “P”) for each course in the major, and
- Completion of IGETC and/or CSU GE-Breadth.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|SPAN G180||Elementary Spanish 1||5|
|SPAN G185||Elementary Spanish 2||5|
|SPAN G280||Intermediate Spanish 1||4|
|SPAN G285||Intermediate Spanish 2||4|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|HIST G150||History of Latin America||3|
|SOC G134||Introduction To Chicano Studies||3|
|SPAN G200||Mexican Culture and Civilization||3|
|GE Pattern (CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC)||37-39|
|Total units that may be double counted||6-9|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 units) 1||8-11|
Credit earned in AAT