Academic Catalogs


Student performance is indicated by one of seven grades. Grades, which carry a point value, and which are used in determining the grade point average (GPA), are as follows:

A = Excellent (4 grade points per unit)
B = Good (3 grade point per unit)
C = Satisfactory (2 grade points per unit)
D = Passing-less than satisfactory (1 grade point per units)
F = Failing (0 grade points per unit)

The grade point average is calculated by dividing the number of grade points by the number of units attempted for the grades of A, B, C, D, or F.

The following grades are not part of the GPA calculation:

P (formerly CR) = Pass, at least satisfactory. C or better (units granted) 
NP (formerly NCR) = Not passing, less than satisfactory or failing (no units granted) 
W = Withdrawal (no units granted)
EW = Excused Withdrawal (no units granted)
I, IB, IC, ID, IF, INP = Incomplete (no units granted)
IP =  In-Progress (no units granted)
MW = Military Withdrawal (no units granted)
NG = Non-Graded (no units granted)
RD = Report Delayed (no units granted)

Incompletes were expanded to include the grade that the incomplete will revert to in one year, if the student does not make up the coursework with the instructor (i.e., ID= incomplete which will revert to a “D” in one year, if the student does not make up missing coursework).

An “E” to the far right of a course on the academic transcript indicates that the grade has been excluded from the GPA calculation. The reason for the exclusion may be notated as follows:

ACDRNL = Academic renewal
HS or HSC = High school credit only
UR = Unauthorized repeat
SUBSTND = Repeated substandard grade

Other Notations

APL = Assessment of Prior Learning
CE = Credit by Exam
I = Course taken during Winter Intersession
H = Honors Course

Grading Options

Optional Pass/No Pass or Grade Classes

In these courses, students may elect to receive either a traditional letter grade of “A” through “F” or Pass/No Pass for the course. This choice must be made by the same deadlines as last day to drop without a “W,” which is printed on the Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill) through MyCoastPortal.

Pass/No Pass Grading Option

Students who enroll in courses designated “graded or pass/ no pass option” may change the grade by logging into MyCoastPortal, clicking on Add/Drop Classes, then clicking on the Grade Mode for the class they wish to change the grade option.

Once the Pass/No Pass grading option deadline has passed, the grade option cannot be reversed. Therefore, before selecting this option, students should consult with a counselor.

Note: In classes graded on this basis, students are held to attendance regulations and academic standards expected in the standard graded courses.

Students are advised to read the following statements before deciding to pursue a course on a graded (“A” to “F”) or Pass/No Pass basis.

  • A grade of “Pass” or “No Pass” does not affect a student’s grade point average at Coastline College.
  • “NP,” “W,” and “I” grades are utilized by Coastline College in the determination of academic probation and disqualification. (Refer to college regulations concerning “Pro­bation/Disqualification.”)
  • Courses taken at Coastline College to remedy an admissions deficiency for the University of California due to poor or incomplete high school preparation are not acceptable if completed on a “pass” basis.
  • Students required to complete 60 units of course work with a grade point average of 2.4 prior to transfer to a University of California campus, such as Irvine, must complete at least 42 of these units on a graded (“A” through “F”) basis.
  • Some universities may specify that courses required for a major be completed on a standard grade basis (“A” through “F”).
  • A grade of “pass” is equivalent to a “C” for purposes of transfer.
  • Some universities specify that courses taken to satisfy general education breadth requirements be completed on a standard grade basis (“A” through “F”).
  • Some institutions limit the number of units completed on a “pass” basis which are accepted toward the bachelor’s degree.
  • Students planning to apply to competitive admissions programs such as the health professions are usually advised to complete the specified preparation on a graded basis (“A” through “F”).

W (Withdrawal)

Withdrawal is not an automatic process. The student is responsible for officially withdrawing, by dropping through the MyCoastPortal, sending and e-mail to, or mailing a letter to Admissions and Records Office, to avoid receiving “F” or “NP” (no-pass) grades.

Upon entering Coastline College, the student assumes the responsibility of completing each course in which he/she is registered. A college student is expected to attend all sessions of the classes in which he/she is enrolled. An instructor may drop a student for excessive absences when the instructor determines that, due to absences, the student may not successfully complete the course. Students who miss the first meeting of the class may also be dropped. Students who are dropped by their instructors for missing the first-class meeting or for excessive absences should verify the instructor drop with the Admissions Office in order to avoid grade penalties and to comply with critical drop dates as specified. After a student has been dropped from the class for unexcused absences, appeal for reinstatement will be considered only under extenuating circumstances.

When withdrawing from a class, students should be aware that the following policies apply:

Early Withdrawal

Classes will not appear on a transcript (a “W” will not be assigned) when a student officially withdraws during the first two (2) weeks of full semester (16-week) fall or spring courses, and 20% of all other length courses. Students should refer to their “Student Class Program, Web Schedule Bill” for specific course deadlines.

Other Withdrawals

A “W” will appear on a transcript for official withdrawals made between the Tuesday of the 3rd week and the last day of the 12th week for full semester (16-week) fall or spring courses and more than 20% and less than 75% in all other length courses.

MW (Military Withdrawal)

“Military withdrawal” occurs when a student who is a member of an active or reserve United States military service receives orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Upon verification of such orders, a withdrawal symbol of “MW” is assigned. Military withdrawals shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations.

EW (Excused Withdrawal)

Under section 55024 of the California Title 5 Code of Regulations, an excused withdrawal occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student affecting his or her ability to complete courses.

The specific events may include:

  • A job transfer outside of the geographical region 
  • An illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver
  • When the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term**
  • When the student is the subject of an immigration action
  • Or verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student making course completion impracticable. 

Upon verification of these conditions and consistent with the district's required documentation substantiating the condition, an excused withdrawal symbol may be assigned at any time after the period established by the governing board during which no notation is made for withdrawals. The withdrawal symbol so assigned shall be an “EW.” Excused Withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations. Excused Withdrawal shall not be counted toward the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt.

Withdraw after Deadline

Students may petition for a “W” grade after the final limit for “W” only for extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student, such as verified accident or illness. Petitions must be reviewed and approved by the Grade Review Committee.

I (Incomplete)

An incomplete grade (I, I/B, I/C, I/D, I/F, and I/NP) may be assigned when the course is not completed for unforeseen, emergency, and justifiable reasons, with permission from the instructor, and the student intends to complete the work after the end of the term. The condition for the removal of the “I” shall be stated by the instructor as well as the grade assigned in lieu of its removal in a written record available to the student at the Admissions and Records Office.

The “I” must be made up no later than one year following the term in which it was assigned. If the work assigned is not completed within that year, then the grade will revert to the grade attached to the “I” (i.e., I/B=B)

A final grade shall be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated by the instructor or when the time limit for completion of the work has passed.

Note: When unusual circumstances prevail, a petition may be filed at the Admissions and Records Office requesting a reasonable extension of time.

Note: Students are not permitted to enroll in a course in which they were assigned an “I” grade. Incompletes must be agreed upon by both the student and the instructor.

IP (In Progress)

The “IP” (In Progress) grade indicates that the class extends beyond the normal academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress” but assignment of a final grade awaits completion of the course. The “IP” symbol remains on the student’s record and is not used in calculating units attempted or grade points. The appropriate evaluative grade, units, and grade points are assigned and appear on the student’s record for the term in which the course is completed.

Note: There are very few classes at Coastline College that qualify to use the IP grade.

NG (Non-Graded)

The NG symbol is assigned to non-graded courses.

RD (Report Delayed)

The RD symbol is used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. RD will not be used in calculating grade point averages.


Final examinations are required in all courses, except physical education. Normally final examinations are given the last week of class. No student will be excused from these examinations. Students must be in attendance at Coastline College for the entire semester and must take the final examination to receive credit.