Medical Coding Specialist, Certificate of Accomplishment
Banner Code: 3_CE_MCSP
Not Financial Aid Eligible
The Medical Coding Specialist certificate prepares the students to pass the tests to become a Certified Coding Associate (CCA) and/or a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). These tests are administered by the American Health Information Management Association. This certificate program focuses on preparing the students for an in-depth knowledge of coding.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Use CPT codes to create complex medical insurance claim forms used in a medical facility.
- Analyze medical billing situations, integrate appropriate data from patient files and physician notes, complete professional accounts payable invoices, and submit the documents to the appropriate insurance provider(s).
- Pass a sample AHIMA certification exam with a score of 75% or better.
- Use medical terminology to create medical records and insurance claim forms, integrate appropriate terminology from patient files and physician notes, and analyze medical terminology to produce professional medical documents.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
A Certificate is awarded upon completion of the required coursework with a grade of C or higher in each course. A grade of P (Pass) is acceptable, however, the student must meet an overall GPA requirement of 2.0 to receive the certificate. To receive the certificate, a student must file a petition for graduation during their final semester prior to the application deadline as noted on the Coastline Graduation webpage.
Certificate of Accomplishment
- Students must also earn a minimum of 12 units of coursework at Coastline, excluding experiential credit.
- A student with prior experience may be excused from certain certificate courses but will still need to meet the overall unit requirement specified for the certificate.
- 50 percent of the certificate program’s units must be completed at Coastline regardless of how many total number of units required for the certificate can be met by prior coursework.
|Complete the following:|
|BC C145||Medical Administrative Assistant 1||3|
|BC C161||Health Information Technology: Medical Coding 1||3|
|BC C162||Health Information Technology: Medical Coding 2||3|
|BC C163||Health Information Technology: Medical Terminology||3|