Philosophy, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner Code: 3_AAT_PHIL
Control Number: 41801
Financial Aid Eligible
The Associate in Arts in Philosophy for Transfer degree emphasizes the critical analysis of philosophical ideas, critical thinking, writing, ethical reasoning, and philosophical concepts of historic importance. Students will survey a wide range of philosophical subjects, such as metaphysics, ethics, logics, and epistemology. Students will identify philosophical principles and concepts, critically analyze texts, and generate cogent arguments. This program will provide students with a well-rounded understanding of Philosophy as well as prepare them for a baccalaureate degree program in Philosophy. Alternatively, the process of earning this degree will enhance their critical thinking skills in a way that will benefit them for any number of alternative majors and career paths.
Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are open to all Coastline students. Students who do not plan on transferring to a California State University school should consult their Counselor regarding the benefits of an AA-T/AS-T degree based on their goals. Students earning an AA-T or AS-T and intending on transferring to a California State University school receive transfer admission benefits for specific majors at many California State University campuses. Visit the Transfer Information catalog page for more information.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe and explain the basic philosophical problems of historic importance as well as traditional approaches, arguments, and objections to these issues.
- Critical thinking and analytic skills to better evaluate and understand arguments across a wide range of topics and touching on numerous disciplines.
- Evaluate philosophical concepts as they pertain within and outside of the discipline and relate to various political, cultural and religious belief systems.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|Complete the following:|
|PHIL C100||Introduction to Philosophy||3|
|PHIL C115||Logic and Critical Thinking||3|
|or PHIL C220||Introduction to Symbolic Logic|
|Select one course of Required Core not used to fullfill Core requirements or of the following:||3|
|History of Ancient Philosophy|
|Select two courses of List A not used to fulfill List A requirements or of the following:||6|
|Western Civilization 1|
|Western Civilization 2|
|Select one course of List A or List B not used to fulfill List A or B requirements or of the following:||3|
or PHIL C122
|Critical Reasoning, Reading, and Writing|
|World History 1|
|World History 2|
|Introduction to the Humanities|
|Environmental Ethics: Philosophical Approaches to Sustainability|
|Units Required for Major||18|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units||Varies|
|Total Units for Degree||60|