Human Services, Certificate of Accomplishment
Banner Code: 3_CE_HSVC
Not Financial Aid Eligible
This certificate enables students to work in the expanding field of human services, a growing profession in response to the human needs and problems in the 21st century. The certificate program provides a general background for work with families, children, and adults and offers the student a pathway to pursue an associate or bachelor level degree. Individuals with a certificate can enhance their professional helping skills, offering them greater work opportunities as social-service technicians, case management aides, mental health technicians, gerontology aides, special-education teacher aides, and residential managers. Additionally, police officers, firefighters, military counselors, and others dealing with the public will benefit from the program training. The certificate exposes the student to the most current thinking in the field, hands-on experience, and community networking.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Utilize human services helping skills and resources to enhance career prospects.
- Demonstrate intervention skills within fields of human services.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
A Certificate is awarded upon completion of the required coursework with a grade of C or higher in each course. A grade of P (Pass) is acceptable, however, the student must meet an overall GPA requirement of 2.0 to receive the certificate. To receive the certificate, a student must file a petition for graduation during their final semester prior to the application deadline as noted on the Coastline Graduation webpage.
Certificate of Accomplishment
- Students must also earn a minimum of 12 units of coursework at Coastline, excluding experiential credit.
- A student with prior experience may be excused from certain certificate courses but will still need to meet the overall unit requirement specified for the certificate.
- 50 percent of the certificate program’s units must be completed at Coastline regardless of how many total number of units required for the certificate can be met by prior coursework.
|Complete the following:|
|HSVC C100||Introduction to Human Services||3|
|HSVC C101||Helping Theories and Intervention Strategies||3|
|HSVC C102||Introduction to Crisis Intervention||3|
|HSVC C273||Human Services Practicum||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Controversies and Ethical Issues in Aging|
|Care of Frail Elderly|
|Treatment Issues in Substance Abuse|
|Introduction to Case Management|
|Cultural Diversity in Human Services|
|Introduction to Psychology|
|Child Growth and Development|
|Psychology of Aging|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|Dating, Relationships, and Marriage|
|Introduction to Gerontology|