Architecture, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_ARCH
Control Number: 14409
The Architecture Associate in Science degree provides courses to help develop students understanding of the concepts, skills and competencies necessary for further study in the field. The program prepares students in the areas of critical thinking, design, and visual communication. Students who are interested in transfer to a university professional program in Architecture and/or related Environmental Design should contact an OCC counselor for assistance in additional course preparation.
- Student will be able to demonstrate critical thinking, design, and visual communication as related to architecture.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ARCH A105||Architectural Drawing and Design Visualization 1||2|
|ARCH A110||Introduction to Architecture||2|
|or ARCH A110H||Introduction to Architecture Honors|
|ARCH A115||Architectural Design and Theory 1||4|
|ARCH A205||Architectural Drawing and Design Visualization 2||3|
|ARCH A215||Architectural Drawing and Design Theory 2||4|
|Core Courses Subtotal||15|
|Select at minimum of three units of the following:||3|
|Architectural Construction Documents|
|Environmental Design Systems|
|Building Materials and Systems|
|Architectural Design and Theory 3|
|History of Architecture 1|
or ARCH A290H
|History of Architecture 1 Honors|
|History of Architecture 2|
or ARCH A296H
|History of Architecture 2 Honors|
|Restricted Electives Subtotal||3|
|Minimum Program Major Units||18|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|