Integrative Health Coach, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_IHC
Control Number: 38587
The Integrative Health Coach will have a holistic approach to patient services and will have knowledge of integrative modalities that support health and wellness. Integrative Health Coaches assist patients in understanding the recommendations of their clinicians for improved health outcomes. Tools used by Integrative Health Coach include goal setting for behavior change, motivational interviewing, and health education. Their understanding of the U.S. healthcare system and health insurance will allow them to help patients navigate the healthcare system, assuring that patients are connected to services including under coverage and/or connecting the patient to additional community resources. The Integrative Health Coach program will prepare students to serve on health care teams, providing patient navigational support in understanding and accessing medical care.
The Integrative Health Coach empowers patients to make lasting health behavior changes that are the cornerstones of lifelong well-being. It bridges the gap between medical recommendations and patients' ability to successfully implement their clinician's recommendations into their behavior choices.
Students who complete the Integrative Health Coach Certificate of Achievement may elect to complete additional graduation requirements and earn an Associate of Science, Integrative Health Coach. The program is structured to allow students who have completed the Medical Assisting program can complete the requirements in one semester. It will also benefit individuals who are currently working within health care or who have completed an undergraduate degree and desire addition skills.
- Students will have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to be successful members of an integrated healthcare team.
- Students will understand basic disease etiology and treatment and be able to assist patients in understanding diagnostic test in relationship to behaviors and treatment adherence.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ALH A111||Medical Terminology||3|
|ALH A115||Patient Care||2.5|
|or INHL A115||Clinical Skills for the Integrative Health Coach|
|ALH A120||Human Diseases||2|
|INHL A100||Integrative Health Coach Principles & Practice||3|
|FN A140||Introduction to Nutrition Concepts||2-3|
|or FN A170||Nutrition|
|INHL A210||Navigating the U.S. Health Care System, Health Insurance, Public Assistance, and Benefits Programs||3-5|
|or MA A205||Administrative Medical Assisting 2|
|or PUBH A210||Navigating the U.S. Health Care System, Health Insurance, Public Assistance, and Benefits Programs|
|INHL A220||Techniques and Topics in Health Education||3|
|or PUBH A220||Techniques and Topics in Health Education|
|INHL A225||Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Medicine||3|
|INHL A250||Integrative Health Coach Internship||2|
|Restricted Electives Students must complete a minimum of one course from the list below.||3|
|Enhancing Guest Service|
|Assessing and Analyzing Health Information|
|Theory of Yoga|
|Medical Assisting Core|
|Introduction to Medical Nutrition Therapy|
|Introduction to Public Health|
|Health and Social Justice|
|Program Major Units||26.5-29.5|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||18|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||12.5-15.5|
|Total Degree Units||60|