Preschool Teacher, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_ECPT
Control Number: 11641
A certificate is earned by students who have developed skills necessary to work as teachers of preschool children in early childhood settings. Courses emphasize strong theoretical and practical skills needed to work with children 2-5 years. Courses fulfill Title 22 licensing requirements and Title 5 early childhood education course requirements for the Child Development Permit at the teacher level.
Complete the Preschool Teacher Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- The objective of the program is to meet the needs of the local child care programs by preparing students for entry level employment as a professional and competent preschool teacher.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|EC A130||Language Arts for Children||3|
|EC A131||Creativity for Children||3|
|EC A132||Science and Math for Young Children||3|
|EC A155||Principles & Practices of Teaching Young Children||3|
|EC A156||Early Childhood Laboratory||2|
|EC A157||Guidance for Young Children||3|
|EC A165||Observing and Recording Child Behavior||3|
|EC A200||Early Childhood Programs-The Curriculum||3|
|EC A201||Early Childhood Practicum - Field Experience||3|
|HMDV A180||Child Growth and Development||3|
|HMDV A190||Family, School, and Community Partnerships||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Teaching in a Diverse Society|
|Health, Safety, and Nutrition|
|Introduction to the Exceptional Child|
|Select two of the following:||1-2.5|
|Current Issues in Early Childhood|
|Learning Title 22|
|Disaster Preparedness for Child Care|
|Child Abuse I.D. and Referral|
|Adult Supervision in Early Childhood Programs|
|Program Major Units||36-37.5|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|