Elementary Teacher Education, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_ETE
Control Number: 32202
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the Elementary Teacher Education AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
The Associate in Arts degree for Transfer (AA-T) In Elementary Teacher Education is designed for prospective California State University (CSU) transfer students who are preparing for careers as Elementary School Teachers. Completion of a Bachelor’s degree In Liberal Studies prepares students to apply to approved teacher education programs leading to a credential to teach in elementary, self-contained classrooms. The Liberal Studies major and aligned AA-T Elementary Teacher Education curriculum provides depth and breadth of subject matter content typically taught in Kindergarten through sixth grade classroom settings in California. Students who plan to enter a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) approved program leading to a preliminary Multiple Subject Credential are required to demonstrate subject matter competency.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|BIOL A100||Introduction to Biology||4|
|CHEM A110||Introduction to Chemistry||5|
& PHYS A111
and Introductory Physics Laboratory
|CMST A110||Public Speaking||3|
|EDUC A200||The Teaching Profession||3|
|ENGL A100||Freshman Composition||3|
|ENGL A101/A101H||Critical Reasoning: Fiction||4|
|GEOG A100/A100H||World Regional Geography||3|
|GEOL A105/A105H||General Geology||3|
|GEOL A105L/A105M||General Geology Laboratory||1|
|HIST A161/A161H||World History 1||3|
|HIST A170/A170H||History of the United States to 1876||3|
|HMDV A180||Child Growth and Development||3|
|MATH A104||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers||3|
|PSCI A180/A180H||American Government||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Essentials of Argumentation|
|Critical Reasoning: Nonfiction|
|Logic and Critical Thinking|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|History and Appreciation of Western Art: Prehistory Through Gothic|
|Appreciation Of Dance|
|Introduction to the Humanities|
|History and Appreciation of Western Classical Music|
|Introduction to Theatre|
|Program Major Units||54|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-41|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|