Spanish, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_SPAN
Control Number: 32737
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the Spanish AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer degree is an excellent way to develop communicative skills as well as analytical and critical thinking. It can provide a basis for understanding culture, and therefore, prepare graduates for many careers in a multicultural world. The ability to communicate and interact with others is more and more vital with growing global interdependence and technological connectivity. Students in the Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree (AA-T) can develop careers in areas such as: education, diplomatic services, anthropology, economics, political science, literature, sociology, and linguistics. While teaching has traditionally been the principal area of employment, other careers, such as interpreting, translating, research, public relations, international commerce, tourism, and publishing are possible.
The department offers courses from the beginning to intermediate levels. All courses are designed to develop the student’s listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing skills, as well as to provide a general overview of Spanish-speaking civilizations and cultures.
- Recognize and produce the Spanish language in the four primary areas of communication: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Demonstrate a better understanding and appreciation of the cultures related to the Spanish language by comparing and contrasting them with the student’s own culture(s).
- Use current technologies to further develop language and cultural competencies.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|SPAN A180/A180H||Elementary Spanish 1||5|
|SPAN A185/A185H||Elementary Spanish 2||5|
|SPAN A280/A280H||Intermediate Spanish 1||5|
|SPAN A285||Intermediate Spanish 2||5|
|Select one of the following:||3-5|
|Elementary French 1|
|Elementary Italian 1|
|Program Major Units||23-25|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|