English, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_ENGL
Control Number: 04017
Complete eighteen (18) units from the following and the Associate in Arts graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog. If a student chooses this degree option, a plan must be developed with a counselor and placed on file prior to petitioning for graduation.
- Students will analyze, evaluate, and create their own fiction and/or non-fiction texts.
- Students will critically analyze and compare literature from various cultures demonstrating an understanding of how life functions in the literary, social, and moral worlds
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|ENGL A101/A101H||Critical Reasoning: Fiction||4|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|American Literature Before the 20th Century|
|American Literature in the 20th Century|
|World Literature Through Renaissance|
|World Literature Since Renaissance|
|Survey of British Literature Before 1800|
|Survey of British Literature After 1800|
|Select a minimum of nine units: 1||9|
|Introduction to Creative Writing|
|Short Story Workshop|
|The Bible As Literature|
|Introduction to Science Fiction|
|Film As Literature|
|Race, Culture, and Identity in Literature|
|Introduction to Irish Literature|
|Introduction to Literary Theory|
|Minimum Program Major Units||19|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
Complete a minimum of nine (9) units from Required Core courses not already used or from the following list.