English, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_ENGL
Control Number: 32189
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in English for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the English AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
The English program provides a core curriculum that instills critical thinking tools (including literary theories and terminology) for both practicing and studying writing, knowledge of historical and aesthetic contexts, and appreciation of geographic and cultural diversity. This background serves all English majors whether their emphasis at the CSU level will ultimately be the study of literature, rhetoric and non-fiction writing, or creative writing. The English program recognizes that all these areas of the major inform one another.
All the required courses in the program foster strong writing skills and are crucial in developing the proficiency and knowledge necessary for students who will ultimately use the major for teaching at the K-12 or community college level, literary scholarship at the graduate level, entering the legal professions, for creative writing, or for non-fiction essay writing in literary, business, and scientific journals.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|ENGL A101/A101H||Critical Reasoning: Fiction||4|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|American Literature Before the 20th Century|
|American Literature in the 20th Century|
|World Literature Through Renaissance|
|World Literature Since Renaissance|
|Survey of British Literature Before 1800|
|Survey of British Literature After 1800|
|Select two of the following: 1||6|
|Introduction to Creative Writing|
|The Bible As Literature|
|Race, Culture, and Identity in Literature|
|Select one of the following: 2||3|
|Short Story Workshop|
|Novel Writing I|
|Introduction to Science Fiction|
|Film As Literature|
|Introduction to Irish Literature|
|Introduction to Literary Theory|
|Gender and Sexuality in Literature and Film|
|Unique Topics in Literature|
|Program Major Units||19|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
Complete six (6) units from List A not already used, or choose from the following list.
Complete three (3) units from List A or B not already used, or choose from the following list.