Anthropology, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_ANTH
Control Number: 04032
The Anthropology Program is a comprehensive program with opportunities to experience all four of the primary fields of research within the discipline. Our objective is to apply theory and offer hands-on experience to enable the student to gain a broad perspective of the diversity of interests that can be acquired by pursuing a degree in Anthropology.
- Gain an understanding of and an appreciation for human diversity across time and space.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|ANTH A100||Cultural Anthropology||3|
|or ANTH A100H||Cultural Anthropology Honors|
|ANTH A185||Physical Anthropology||3|
|or ANTH A185H||Introduction to Physical Anthropology Honors|
|ANTH A185L||Phys Anthropology Lab||1|
|ANTH A280||Introduction to Archaeology||3|
|Core Courses Subtotal||10|
|Select a minimum of nine units of the following:||9|
|Anthropolgy of Nonverbal Behavior|
|Introduction to Primate Studies|
|Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology|
|Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion|
|World Regional Geography|
or GEOG A180H
|Physical Geography Honors|
|Physical Geography Lab|
|World History 1|
or HIST A161H
|World History 1 Honors|
|World History 2|
or HIST A162H
|World History 2 Honors|
|Western Civilization 1|
or HIST A180H
|Western Civilization 1 Honors|
|History of Western Civilization|
or HIST A185H
|History of Western Civilization Honors|
|Child Growth and Development|
|Life Span Developmental Psychology|
|Principles of Human Sexuality 1|
|Introduction to Sociology|
or SOC A100H
|Introduction to Sociology Honors|
|Introduction to Dating, Relationships, and Marriage|
|Minimum Program Major Units||19|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|