Public Health - General Studies, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_PUBG
Control Number: 08673
This program will introduce students to health, including personal health and public health. Students can choose from a variety of courses that will increase their knowledge and understanding of the biopsychosocial model of health to be able to make personal choices that reduce their risk of disease. Students will also understand health from a public health view and be able to analyze global health issue and the impact of the environment, socio-economics, politics, and culture on health and health systems. Though not a transfer degree, this option will prepare students for transfer to CSU Fullerton. Students should see a counselor for questions related to the requirements of specific CSUs.
Students will be able to analyze disparity in health outcomes across populations using evidence-based methods and identify effective intervention strategies.
Students will be able to advocate for policy and structural change as supported by their ability to identify the impact of environment, socioeconomics, politics, and culture on health and health systems.
Student will prepare for transfer to local CSUs, ie., CSU Fullerton.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|PUBH A100||Personal Health||3|
|PUBH A200||Introduction to Public Health||3|
|CMST A100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|or CMST A110||Public Speaking|
|Introduction to Psychology|
or PSYC A100H
|Introduction to Psychology Honors|
or SOC A100
|Introduction to Sociology|
or SOC A100H
|Introduction to Sociology Honors|
|Introduction to Biology|
or BIOL A100H
|Introduction to Biology Honors|
or BIOL A221
or BIOL A225
|Select a minimum of 6 units from the following:||6|
|PUBH A202||Drugs, Health, and Society||3|
|PUBH A203||Health and Social Justice||3|
|PUBH A230||Assessing and Analyzing Health Information||3|
|PUBH A160||Peer Health Education Level 1||2|
|PUBH A210||Navigating the U.S. Health Care System, Health Insurance, Public Assistance, and Benefits Programs||3|
|or INHL A210||Navigating the U.S. Health Care System, Health Insurance, Public Assistance, and Benefits Programs|
|PUBH A260||Peer Health Education Level 2||2|
|INHL A225||Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Medicine||3|
|GEOG A190||Digital Mapping: Introduction to GIS||3|
|ETHS A150||Ethnic Groups in the U.S.: Their Histories||3|
|PUBH A220||Techniques and Topics in Health Education||3|
|or INHL A220||Techniques and Topics in Health Education|
|Program Major Units||26-28|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|