Yoga Instructor Training, Certificate of Specialization
Not Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CE_YOGA
Orange Coast College’s Yoga Instructor 200-hour certification training provides students with the fundamentals required to teach yoga to a variety of levels and abilities. This program meets the requirements for Yoga Alliance, a professional membership and trade association, to become a registered yoga teacher (RYT). The Yoga Instructor Training program features an inclusive curriculum that focuses on philosophy, anatomy, theory, practice, and teaching. Once completed, the student is prepared for employment in health clubs, spas, yoga/dance studios, hospitals, the health industry, and self-employment as a private yoga instructor.
- Properly instruct a yoga class for all levels and abilities including the use of prop, utilizing themes and yoga philosophy to enhance classes.
- Understand the history and evolution of yoga.
- Satisfy the 200 hour requirement to qualify for the Yoga Alliance 200-Hour certification.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|KIN A228||Hatha Yoga Level II||1|
|KIN A284||Theory of Yoga||3|
|KIN A285||Yoga Methodology||3|
|KIN A286||Yoga Methodology 2||3|
|KIN A287||Yoga Practicum Level 1||3|