Industrial PLC Technician, Associate in Science Degree
Banner Code: 1_AS_ELIP
Control Number: 41489
Financial Aid Eligible
The Industrial PLC Technician Associate of Science degree is designed to provide students who have completed the PLC Technician Certificate of Achievement the opportunity to earn an associate's degree. Students will leave with the skills and knowledge required to work on the PLC-based industrial control systems commonly found in advanced manufacturing facilities. Students will gain hands-on experience with Siemens and Allen-Bradley controllers. Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to troubleshoot PLC based systems, replace faulty electrical components, and program and commission systems.
Students must complete the Industrial Electronics Technician Certificate of Achievement (13-14 units) as a part of the required coursework.
- Students will gain the basic knowledge required to take the CET (Certified Electronics Technician) exam.
- Students will be able to work safely in accordance with NFPA 70E.
- Students will acquire the skills necessary to connect to a PLC, diagnose system problems, backup a program, and restore a program to a controller.
- Students will gain proficiency in reading and creating schematics, wiring diagrams, and ladder logic diagrams for advanced control systems.
Students will acquire hands-on skills working with HMIs, SCADA, and industrial communication protocols.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AS major requirements.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
Industrial Electronics Technician Certificate of Achievement (13-14 Units)
|Electronic Problem Solving
|or MATH A115
|or MATH A120
|Automation 1- Industrial Control Systems
|Automation 2 - Programmable Logic Controller
|Automation 3 - Industrial Networks, HMI, and SCADA
|Safety, Maintenance, and Calibration
|Computer Hardware Configuration & Diagnostics
|or ELEC A290
|Minimum Program Major Units
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement
|Total Minimum Degree Units