Leadership Studies, Certificate of Specialization
Not Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CE_LDST
The goal of this program is to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness. Students will develop personal leadership skills, study ethical dimensions of leadership, understand how leadership affects people, organizations, and society, and articulate and apply their own philosophy of leadership in their careers and lives.
- Function effectively in a leadership role using the skills, principles, and tools they have acquired.
- Apply the leadership principles they have learned in their personal and/or organizational lives.
- Distinguish between the qualities of effective and ineffective leaders.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|CMST A100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|LEAD A180||Personal Leadership||3|
|LEAD A200||Organizational Leadership||3|