Restaurant, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_FMCR
Control Number: 08664
Students completing this degree are qualified to manage food service operations in commercial establishments, such as restaurants and hotels. Restaurant management is an attractive profession which has been described a number of ways by those who are active in it, including such accolades as glamorous, well-paying, creative, challenging, and filled with excitement. One employment estimate shows a need for more than 250,000 additional employees annually. The future of restaurant management holds promise for individuals willing to devote their talents to this lively career.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment as competent Food Service supervisors and meet the needs of the local hospitality/food-service industry.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
Restaurant Supervision Certificate of Achievement
|FSM A100||Introduction to the Hospitality Industry||3|
|FSM A150||Principles of Quantity Food Preparation||4|
|FSM A160||Sanitation and Safety||3|
|FSM A190||Dining Room Service||2|
|FSM A151||Food Production Management||2|
|FSM A210||Dining Room Management||3|
|FSM A240||Food Service Math/Accounting||4|
|FSM A260||Supervision and Training Techniques||3|
|FSM A283||Directed Practice in Food Service Management 1||2|
|FN A140 |
or FN A170
|Introduction to Nutrition Concepts |
|FSM A250||Menu Planning and Purchasing||3|
|FSM A275||Bar Management||2|
|FSM A286||Directed Practice in Food Service Management||2|
|HTT A285||Hospitality Operations||3|
|FSM A285||Restaurant Management||3|
|PSYC A100 |
or PSYC A100H
|Introduction to Psychology |
or Introduction to Psychology Honors
|Program Major Units||47-48|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||62-63|
Restaurant AS Suggested Electives
|CIS A090||Beginning Computer Keyboarding 1||1.5|
|EMS A100||Emergency Medical Responder||4|
|KIN A203||First Aid and CPR||2|