Finance, Certificate of Specialization
Not Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CE_BAFN
The Certificate of Specialization of Finance is designed to develop analytic and critical thinking skills in the financial area in businesses. Courses emphasize financial accounting, securities valuation, financial analysis, cash flow and investment management.
- Function effectively in an entry-level or training position in the Finance, Treasurer or Investment Department of a small to mid-size enterprise or as an entry-level or training analyst in a investment banking or financial services firm.
- Effectively apply and utilize the accounting and financial principles and techniques they have learned in a business environment or at a four-year college business administration program..
- Determine the viability and net cash flows of security and capital investments.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|ACCT A101||Financial Accounting||4|
|or ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting|
|BUS A100||Introduction to Business||3|
|or BUS A110||Business Law|
|BUS A200||Business Finance||3|