Liberal Arts: Emphasis in Mathematics, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner code: 2_AA_LAMA
Financial aid: Eligible
This program is designed for students who desire a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences, plus additional course work in an “Area of Emphasis.” This program would be an ideal choice for students planning on transferring to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC), as the student may satisfy their general education requirements plus focus on transferable course work relating to baccalaureate majors at these institutions. Because admission and major preparation requirements vary at each transfer institution, courses used to fulfill requirements for an emphasis should be selected with the assistance of GWC Counselor.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Solve linear and non-linear equations in the real and complex number system.
- Calculate probabilities of independent and mutually exclusive events and conditional probability using appropriate formulas and theorems.
- Compute derivatives of basic functions and the derivatives of their sums, differences, products, quotients, and compositions.
- Solve right-angle and oblique triangles and use appropriate laws to solve applied problems.
- Perform matrix operations, evaluate determinants, and solve systems of linear equations using appropriate computational techniques.
- Solve first-order differential equations.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
- Completion of General Education Requirements by one of the following methods:
- Completion of a minimum of 18 units as listed under Areas A through E, including the Cultural Diversity Requirement.
- Completion of a minimum of 39 units of CSU General Education requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in CSU General Education Breadth.
- Completion of a minimum of 34 (UC) or 37 (CSU) units of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC.
- Completion of a Major or Area of Emphasis—a minimum of 18 units.
- Completion of additional elective units to a total of 60 units.
- 2.0 overall Grade Point Average at GWC and 2.0 overall Grade Point Average for all colleges attended.
- At least 12 units completed at GWC.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|Select at least 18 units of the following: 1||18|
|MATH G100||Liberal Arts Mathematics||3|
|MATH G103||Statistics For Elementary Teachers||3|
|MATH G104||Mathematics For Elementary Teachers||3|
|MATH G115||College Algebra||4|
|MATH G140||Business Calculus||4|
|MATH G160||Introduction To Statistics||4|
|MATH G180||Calculus I||5|
|MATH G185||Calculus 2||5|
|MATH G235||Applied Linear Algebra||4|
|MATH G280||Calculus 3||5|
|MATH G282||Ordinary Differential Equations||4|
|MATH G285||Introduction to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations||5|
|One science class from the list identified for the Science Area of Emphasis|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|
Selections must include one math course at the level of MATH G180 or above. Students should check with a counselor to see which courses will transfer to their target university.