Liberal Arts: Emphasis in Computer Science and Technology, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner code: 2_AA_LACST
Financial aid: Eligible
This program is designed for students who wish a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences, plus additional course work in an “Area of Emphasis.” This program would be an ideal choice for students planning on transferring to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC), as the student may satisfy their general education requirements plus focus on transferable course work relating to baccalaureate majors at these institutions. Because admission and major preparation requirements vary at each transfer institution, courses used to fulfill requirements for an emphasis should be selected with the assistance of GWC Counselor. Students completing this degree will need to complete a minimum of 18 units in the area of emphasis, and complete a general education pattern that matches the student’s career and educational goals. Students may select either the native Golden West College General Education pattern, the CSU-GE Breadth pattern, or the IGETC pattern.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of computer programming and software.
- Evaluate various types of technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology to design various art, computer, or database projects
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
- Completion of General Education Requirements by one of the following methods:
- Completion of a minimum of 18 units as listed under Areas A through E, including the Cultural Diversity Requirement.
- Completion of a minimum of 39 units of CSU General Education requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in CSU General Education Breadth.
- Completion of a minimum of 34 (UC) or 37 (CSU) units of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC.
- Completion of a Major or Area of Emphasis—a minimum of 18 units.
- Completion of additional elective units to a total of 60 units.
- 2.0 overall Grade Point Average at GWC and 2.0 overall Grade Point Average for all colleges attended.
- At least 12 units completed at GWC.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|Select at least 18 units, including two or more disciplines, of the following:||18|
|AUTO G101||Introduction to Automotive Technology||3|
|AUTO G110||Engine Repair||5|
|CS G101||Computer Literacy||3|
|CS G102||Computer Software Development, Introduction||4|
|CS G130||Survey Of Computer Science/Information Technology||4|
|CS G131||Python Programming I||4|
|CS G135||UNIX/Linux Operating System||4|
|CS G147||Game Programming, Introduction||4|
|CS G153||Java Programming, Introduction||4|
|CS G154||Data Structures with Java||4|
|CS G175||C++ Programming||4|
|CS G179||C++ Programming, Advanced||4|
|CS G189||Data Structures With C++||4|
|CS G242||Computer Architecture and Organization||3|
|CS G262||Discrete Structures||3|
|DART G100||Introduction To Digital Arts||3|
|DART G103||Digital 2D Design||3|
|DART G135||Introduction To Adobe Illustrator||3|
|DART G150||Photoshop, Beginning||3|
|DART G170||Graphic Design Principles||3|
|DART G178||Introduction To Web Page Design||3|
|DART G180||Introduction To Web Animation||3|
|DRAF G101||Basic Computer Aided Design Drafting||4|
|DRAF G105||Basic Engineering Drafting I, Computer Aided Drafting||3|
|DRAF G110||Basic Engineering Drafting II, Computer Aided Drafting||3|
|EDUC G103||Technology Proficiencies For Teachers I||2|
|LIBR G110||Information Competency and Library Research||1|
|LIBR G120||Libraries And The Internet||1|
|MATH G140||Business Calculus||4|
|MATH G180||Calculus I||5|
|MATH G185||Calculus 2||5|
|ENGR G101||Introduction to Engineering and Technology||2|
|ENGR G220||Programming and Problem-Solving in MATLAB||4|
|ENGR G285||Engineering Circuits||4|
|Select no more than one course from the following:|
|BIOL G100||Introduction To Biology||4|
|CHEM G180||General Chemistry A||5|
|CHEM G185||General Chemistry B||5|
|PHYS G185||Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics||4|
|PHYS G280||Calculus Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism||4|
|PHYS G285||Calculus Based Physics: Modern||4|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|