Building Codes Professional, Certificate of Achievement
Coastline’s Building Codes Professional program (BCT) is a comprehensive building codes program taught by experts in the field which includes structural, mechanical, and technical aspects of construction; building, plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning codes; and related laws. International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO), International Code Councils (ICC), and California Code exams and licenses are covered to prepare students for employments in residential, commercial, and code enforcement.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Assess new and existing residential, commercial, public and industrial buildings, and offer recommendations for property improvement before or after purchase or for a specific project.
- Working with architects, engineers, contractors, and property owners, inspect and evaluate construction plans, use of materials and workmanship to assure they comply and meet minimum code requirements.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
A Certificate is awarded upon completion of the required coursework with a grade of C or higher in each course. To receive the certificate, the student must file a petition for graduation during his/her final semester. In addition:
Certificate of Achievement
- Student must be in attendance at the time requirements are completed.
- Students must also earn a minimum of 12 units of coursework at Coastline, excluding experiential credit.
- A student with prior experience may be excused from certain certificate courses.
- 50 percent of the certificate program’s units must be completed at Coastline no matter how the total number of units required for the certificate can be met.
|Students will complete all of the following:|
|BCT C300||Introduction to International Building Code||3|
|BCT C301||Residential/Construction Blueprint Reading||3|
|BCT C302||California Administrative Code (Title 24)||3|
|BCT C303||Non-Structural Provisions of Building Code||3|
|BCT C304||Concrete Code||3|
|BCT C305||Framing Requirements of Building Code||3|
|BCT C306||Electrical Code||3|
|BCT C307||Mechanical Code||3|
|BCT C308||Plumbing Code||3|
|BCT C311||The International Residential Code||3|
|Total for Major||30|